125 Merchandise
Latest Message
Date: 07/03/2015
Hard luck to our quiz team who cam out on the loosing side of this weeks semi final. Tune in Sunday to hear their valiant effort. List out for a special supporter that was there on the night.




Club Legends
Peadar Gorman

Share    



Peadar Gorman was Chairman of Mullinabreena GAA Club from the early 1960’s to the end of the 1970’s. Mullinabreena won its only county Senior Football Championship in 1958 but remarkably the club went out of existence within a couple of years.

Peadar was a member of the 1958 winning team panel and went on to work in Donegal for a few years. During that time he played football with St. Eunan’s, Letterkenny and later with Dungloe.

On returning to Carrowmore he set about reviving the club and became Chairman with Walter Kivlehan as secretary. The first sign of progress was a South Division Minor Championship win in 1963, the team losing out in the county semi-finals to the eventual champions Collooney Harps.

The club won a number of South Division Junior Championships in the 1960’s which culminated in a County Junior Championship win in 1968 with victory over Knockalassa in the final at Markievicz Park. That success brought the club back into Senior Football as there was no Intermediate grade in the county at the time.

The Mullinabreena club at that stage was represented by players from Coolaney and Mullinabreena. Bunninadden which had been part of the club in 1958 had gone their own way. Mullinabreena qualified for the 1970 County Final but were beaten by St. Patrick’s, Skreen/Dromard in the Final in Tubbercurry which was refereed by Peter James Brennan.

The following year the club reached the Senior League final but lost out to Tourlestrane.

During the 1970’s Peadar was a member of Sligo County Board and was elected to represent the county on the Connacht Council.

In the mid 1970’s the Coleman Estate was being divided and after negotiations with Mr.Wall and Mr. Prendergast of the Land Commission the club succeeded in purchasing the current playing field in 1977. It was a landmark moment for the club. In fact that field had previously been used by the club in the 1950’s for games and training thanks to the generosity of the Coleman family. Peadar remembers a league game there in the mid-1950’s when Mullinabreena defeated a star studded Tourlestrane team by 0-4 to 0-3. Obviously the blanket defence was not unknown more than a half a century ago! Fr. Michael McLoughlin, the local Catholic Curate played in goals for Mullinabreena that day.

Peadar has great admiration for John Brennan, not only as a wonderful footballer, but for his lifelong loyalty and commitment to the club.

The opening of the Nace O’Dowd Park in 1994 is recalled by Peadar as the proudest moment in his long and varied career in the GAA. His interest in and support for his local club is as enthusiastic as ever.
 (C) Copyright Coolaney/Mullinabreena GAA Club 1998 - 2014Admin