125 Merchandise
Latest Message
Date: 07/03/2015
Hard luck to our quiz team who cam out on the loosing side of this weeks semi final. Tune in Sunday to hear their valiant effort. List out for a special supporter that was there on the night.

Mullinabreena V St Farnans - Match Report
Date:  25/03/2001 00:00:00
Reporter:  DH

Mullinabreena had a comfortable victory over St Farnan's in the opening round of the league for 2001. Mullinabreena have a  new management team and the team responded positively against a disappointing St Farnan's.

The match was played in Nace O'Dowd Park and Jack Devaney ensured that everybody in attendance complied with the Foot and Mouth regulations. Mullinabreena played against the breeze in the opening half. The team lined out as follows Francis Brennan, Eugene Henry, David Hosey, Anthony McGowan, Johnny MacGowan, Trevor McGuinn, Barry Kivlehan, Padraig McHugh, Patrick Gormalley, Ollie Lee, Peadar Gallagher, Sean Gormalley, Michael Hosey, Ronan Tansey, Pat Colm. Subs - Daniel Davey, Michael Marren, Eanna Scully, Colm Connolly, Pat Taffe, Trevor Sexton, Denis Gormalley (injured), Martin Gormalley.

The home side opened brightly and were dominant in the midfield area. Padraig McHugh scored the game's first score (and the first for the season) after good approach work by Barry Kivlehan and Trevor McGuinn. Mullinabreena had most of the possession and their defense was rarely threatened. McHugh and Trevor McGuinn added further points before St Farnan's opened their account following a loss of possession by the home side in the half forward line. Barry Kivlehan played very well in his first competitive outing at this level for Mullinabreena. Peadar Gallagher also looked lively following a return from a break last year and he contributed a fine point. Ronan Tansey fired over a good point in reply to a pointed free from St Farnan's. The half time score was 0.6 V 0.2 in favour of the home side.

Ronan Tansey and Peadar Gallagher switched positions for the resumption and Tansey fired over three points in quick succession. This effectively killed the game as a contest. Trevor McGuinn added a point as did McHugh. St Farnan's rarely threatened the Mullinabreena defense and all of the attacks were easily dealt with by the experienced back line. Ollie Lee featured in the attack and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet following good approach play on a number of occasions. The defense will face tougher assignments in the coming weeks. Eanna Scully, Martin Gormalley and Michael Marren were introduced and Daniel Davey got a run also. Daniel tested the keeper with a fine long range shot but the keeper was ideally positioned to meet the shot. Pat Colm added a good point from play also leaving the final score 0.12 to 0.2 at the final whistle.

This was an encouraging start for Mullinabreena against a poor St Farnan's side and tougher tests lie ahead. St Mary's are next up in the league on Sunday 1st April!

 (C) Copyright Coolaney/Mullinabreena GAA Club 1998 - 2014Admin